Please use our A-Z INDEX to navigate this site where page links may lead to other sites
Renewable energy is any energy source that can be harnessed from nature, that excludes fossil fuels, where coal and oil may have been derived from nature many years previously. These forms of energy are sometimes termed: Renewables.
The forms that are natural to planet earth have provided for mankind as we developed into an intelligent species, such as solar heat, wind and waves.
As humans became more intelligent, he built dams, learned to grow crops to make bio-fuels, tap into subsurface heat and even try and fuse atoms together.
Fusion power is a theoretical form of power generation in which energy will be generated by using nuclear fusion reactions from hydrogen to produce heat for electricity generation. In a fusion process, two lighter atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, and at the same time, they release energy. Today this is just a pipedream. But what a dream if our engineers can make it work.
Biofuels have been researched using many different sources including ethanol and algae, these options are substantially cleaner than the consumption of petroleum. "Most life cycle analysis results for perennial and ligno-cellulosic crops conclude that biofuels can supplement anthropogenic energy demands and mitigate green house gas emissions to the atmosphere".
Geothermal can potentially lead to other sources of fuel, if companies would take the heat from the inner core of the earth to heat up water sources we could essentially use the steam creating from the heated water to power machines, this option is one of the cleanest and efficient options.
Hydro-electric which has been incorporated into many of the dams around the world, produces a lot of energy, and is very easy to produce the energy as the dams control the water that is allowed through seams which power turbines located inside of the dam.
With the amount of solar energy that hits the world in one hour there is enough energy to power the world for one year. With the addition of solar panels all around the world less pressure is taken off the need to produce more oil. Solar power can be photovoltaic panels to make electricity, or evacuated tubes to concentrate heat for hot water and central heating.
The power of the waves can be harnessed with electricity generators of various designs. Rivers can have water turbines installed to capture tidal energy and there are boats that propel themselves just from the movement of the waves.
Wind power or wind energy is the use of air flow through wind turbines to provide the mechanical power to turn electric generators and traditionally to do other work, like milling or pumping. Wind power is a sustainable and renewable alternative to burning fossil fuels, and has much less effect on the environment.
SIX STEPS TOWARD A COOLER PLANET
1. TRANSPORT: Phase out polluting vehicles. Government aims to end the sale of new petrol, and diesel vehicles by 2040 but have no infrastructure plan to support such ambition. Marine transport can be carbon neutral.
3. HOUSING: On site micro or macro generation is the best option, starting with new build homes.
4. AGRICULTURE: We need trees to absorb carbon emissions from a growing population, flying, and to build new homes. Reducing food waste and promoting less energy intensive eating habits such as no meat Mondays.
5. INDUSTRY: Factories should be aiming for solar heating and onsite renewable energy generation.
6. POLITICS: - National governing bodies need to adopt policies to eliminate administrative wastages, to include scaling down spending on war machines, educating the public and supporting sustainable social policies that mesh with other cultures. Curbing kleptocratic councils.
FUTURE ENERGY - The annual World Future Energy Summit in Abu Dhabi is the leading global industry event and marketplace for future energy, cleantech and sustainability. Bringing together government and business leaders, 800 specialist exhibitors and 33,500 visitors from 170 countries, it showcases pioneering technologies and ground-breaking thinking in energy and energy efficiency, water, solar, waste, smart cities and more.
LINKS & REFERENCE
This website is provided on a free basis as a public information service. copyright © Climate Change Trust 2019. Solar Studios, BN271RF, United Kingdom.