NATURE UN CLIMATE ACTION 2019
Please use our A-Z INDEX to navigate this site where page links may lead to other sites
UN Action Portfolios - In order to ensure that the transformative actions in the real economy are as impactful as possible, the UN Secretary-General has prioritized six action portfolios, which are recognized as having high potential to curb greenhouse gas emissions and increased global action on adaptation and resilience. He has in our view omitted one of the most important issues being corruption in politics, sloth and kleptocratic empire building.
Nature-Based Solutions: Reducing emissions, increasing sink capacity and enhancing resilience within and across forestry, agriculture, oceans and food systems, including through biodiversity conservation, leveraging supply chains and technology.
We need to encourage the planting of trees for building more sustainable homes that also act as a carbon sink. Where do you suppose all that coal and oil came from?
We need to take action on climate change to try and reverse the damage we have done via acidification. We also need to tackle plastics that are now invading the seas at a rate of 8-12 million tons a year.
Importantly, reducing reliance on fossil fuels will tend to stop desertification and acidification at the same time. Hence, energy transition for homes, industry and transport should be one of the main focuses of the forthcoming conferences.
We simply must wean ourselves off petrol and diesel engines. We should also cap charges for energy suppliers who are putting up standing charges and are likely to continue to do so as demand for grid supplied electricity lowers. This would be a good thing, if more houses were energy self sufficient.
We should also try and educate people as to the health benefits of eating less red meat.
UN CLIMATE ACTION PORTFOLIOS
Global emissions are reaching record levels and show no sign of peaking. The last four years were the four hottest on record, and winter temperatures in the
Arctic have risen by 3°C since 1990. Sea levels are rising, coral reefs are
dying for ocean acidification, and we are starting to see the life-threatening impact of
climate change on health, through air pollution, heatwaves and risks to
CLIMATE CHANGE COP HISTORY
DESERTIFICATION COP HISTORY
BIODIVERSITY COP HISTORY
OUR SIX STEPS TOWARD A COOLER PLANET
1. TRANSPORT: Phase out polluting vehicles. Government aims to end the sale of new petrol, and diesel vehicles by 2040 but have no infrastructure plan to support such ambition. Marine transport can be carbon neutral.
2. RENEWABLES: Renewable energy should replace carbon-based fuels (coal, oil and gas) in our electricity, heating and transport.
3. HOUSING: On site micro or macro generation is the best option, starting with new build homes.
4. AGRICULTURE: We need trees to absorb carbon emissions from a growing population, flying, and to build new homes. Reducing food waste and promoting less energy intensive eating habits such as no meat Mondays.
5. INDUSTRY: Factories should be aiming for solar heating and onsite renewable energy generation.
6. POLITICS: - National governing bodies need to adopt policies to eliminate administrative wastages, to include scaling down spending on war machines, educating the public and supporting sustainable social policies that mesh with other cultures. Curbing kleptocratic councils.
FUTURE ENERGY - The annual World Future Energy Summit in Abu Dhabi is the leading global industry event and marketplace for future energy, cleantech and sustainability. Bringing together government and business leaders, 800 specialist exhibitors and 33,500 visitors from 170 countries, it showcases pioneering technologies and ground-breaking thinking in energy and energy efficiency, water, solar, waste, smart cities and more.
LINKS & REFERENCE
This website is provided on a free basis as a public information service. copyright © Climate Change Trust 2019. Solar Studios, BN271RF, United Kingdom.